Braised Neck Bones
April 14, 2023 • 0 comments
Pork neck bones are not only excellent for stocks, broths, and soups, but they can also be transformed into a hearty and satisfying main course with minimal effort.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 lbs of pork neck bones
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the pork neck bones on a baking sheet and drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the pork neck bones in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking, until they are browned and crispy on the outside.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté until they are softened and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the paprika, dried thyme, black pepper, and bay leaf to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for another 1-2 minutes to release the flavors of the spices.
- Remove the roasted pork neck bones from the oven and transfer them to the pot with the onion and spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the pork neck bones are tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, as needed.
- Once the pork neck bones are tender and the flavors have developed, remove the pot from the heat.
- Discard the bay leaf and skim off any excess fat from the surface of the dish.
- Serve the oven-roasted and braised pork neck bones hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. They can be served over mashed potatoes, rice, or with crusty bread for a delicious and hearty meal.