Smoked Chicken w/ Crispy Skin Recipe
- 3 Jake's half chickens
- Kosher salt
- Desired herbs, spices, or favorite seasoning mix
- Pat the chicken dry: Use paper towels to gently pat the chicken until it is thoroughly dry. This helps remove excess moisture for crispier skin.
- Salt the chicken: Sprinkle kosher salt all over the chicken, ensuring you cover all surfaces, including the skin. Use approximately 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of chicken. You can also add herbs or spices of your choice to the salt for added flavor.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack: Set the salted chicken on a wire rack set inside a baking sheet or tray. This allows for air circulation and aids in drying out the skin.
- Refrigerate uncovered: Transfer the chicken, still on the wire rack, to the refrigerator. Leave it uncovered to allow the cold air to dry out the skin while the salt draws out moisture. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Preheat the smoker: When you're ready to cook the chicken, preheat your smoker to a temperature of around 300-325°F according to your smoker's instructions.
- Optional: Bring the chicken to room temperature: If time permits, let the chicken sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before smoking. This helps ensure even cooking.
- Pat dry again: Before placing the chicken in the smoker, gently pat it with paper towels to remove any remaining moisture and excess salt.
- Apply more salt and seasoning
- Smoke the chicken: Place the chicken in the smoker, following your smoker's instructions. Smoke the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the meat. This usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the chicken.
- Monitor smoking progress: Keep an eye on the chicken while it smokes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain the desired temperature. This allows the chicken to cook evenly and develop a smoky flavor.
- Rest and serve: Once the chicken reaches the target temperature, carefully remove it from the smoker and let it rest for 10 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and ensures tender meat. Carve the chicken into desired portions and serve with its delicious crispy skin.
By following these steps, the salt-drying method enhances the chicken's skin, resulting in a crispy texture when combined with the smoky flavor from the smoker. Enjoy your smoked crispy chicken with its golden and flavorful skin!